The Cottages at Lites’ Woods
A master plan for a privately developed 30-acre addition to the village of Pentwater’s urban fabric based on traditional town planning and urban design principles. The new neighborhood continued the compact block structure of the existing village and included a connected pedestrian-scaled street network. Nederveld also designed all the architecture for the new neighborhood, using the historic homes of the surrounding area as precedent.
- Created a series of neighborhood concepts to convey the design intent to the developer, the community and village leadership.
- Collaborated with the developer to create context-sensitive streets, alleys, blocks, architecture and civic space within the new neighborhood.
- Introduced the concept of cottage courts to create a unique village green that was framed by single family homes and front porches while also allowing for a first phase of development that had less infrastructure investment.
- Designed single and two-family homes as part of the project using local architecture as precedent.
- Assisted the developer and village planning officials to implement a traditional neighborhood development project in a location that was regulated by conventional zoning requirements.
- Incorporated comprehensive professional services including planning, civil engineering, land surveying and construction staking in the delivery of the project.