The Brikyaat Area Specific Plan
Grand Rapids, Michigan
A community supported master plan for an inner city neighborhood that fosters economic and community development wihle enhancing the existing sense of place was crafted using urban design and charrettes.
- Collaborated with Lott3Metz Architecture to craft a forward-looking vision and plan for the neighborhood.
- Facilitated dialogue and stakeholder input that included public meetings and design workshops to inform the plan and build neighborhood consensus.
- Engaged unique stakeholders, including the vendors and customers of the Fulton Street Farmer’s Market to determine preferred outcomes and encourage collaboration.
- Designed a plan that enhanced the eclectic vibe of the community, provided a balance between the existing urban fabric and future infill and strategically placed the neighborhood in a position to promote economic investment.
- Assisted in the process that led to the adoption of the Area Specific Plan into the City of Grand Rapids Master Plan.. At the time, this was the first such amendment to the Master Plan.
- Awarded the 2007 Honor Award in Regional and Urban Planning from the Grand Valley Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and the 2007 Blueprint Award from the Grand Valley Metropolitan Council for excellence in neighborhood revitalization and community development.