Autumn Trails Neighborhood Master Plan
Ingham County, Michigan
Planning, Civil Engineering, Surveying
A master plan for a privately developed traditional neighborhood design that consists of a compact walkable fabric of small blocks, a curving street pattern, cottages and pocket parks. The large central park is designed to act as a community gathering place defined by cottages with front porches, traditional details and alley loaded garages.
• Utilized traditional neighborhood planning principles to establish a block structure, pedestrian connections, building locations, civic spaces and the street network.
• Envisioned a series of parks and greens that were different sizes and served a variety of community purposes in order to provide a hierarchy of public spaces.
• Provided survey services during the design process in order to better understand the opportunities and constraints of the site.
• Incorporated engineering studies, including conceptual storm-water management techniques, preliminary grading analysis and street layout evaluation during the design process in order to ensure that the concepts would be implementable.
• Designed a context-sensitive framework of rain gardens, bio-swales, permeable paving and other solutions that help to minimize the environmental impact and economic expense of the new development.